Sunday 15 September 2013

Film Slide and Negative Scanner

- I use it only for 35mm films - Color and B/W.
- I set it at 10 Megapixel per picture (there are 2 options: 5 Mpx and 10 Mpx) and I do recommend it to be set this way. Otherwise the pictures will look smaller on modern monitors or HDTVs. The size of the file will still be small, comparing to any modern digital camera.

PROs:

1. It's very easy for use and should be intuitive even for seniors (with some initial help from their kids :) I wouldn't recommend to use any enhancements to the scans on the device itself - it's better to use any free simple editor, like Picasa afterwards for contrast/color improvements.

2. It's FAST, because, actually, this is not a scan - this is a small camera inside the device which makes pictures of films and slides. To feel the speed - I was able to make about 750 pictures in just 2 evenings.

3. It's a stand alone unit - you can scan to a SDHC card that are very cheap now.

CONs:

There is only one, but quite a significant flaw. There is a piece called "Film holder" that is used to guide a film or a slide into the device. It's made of clear plastic. It gets scratches pretty fast (at least for films). Those are micro scratches, that go in the film direction and they become visible on the pictures after approximately first 500 frames. The manufacturer provides TWO (2) of those holders inside the box, which is nice, but not enough in my case. So keep this in mind.

NOTE FOR THE MANUFACTURER / DISTRIBUTOR:
If I would be able to buy those Film Holders as parts - I would give it 5 stars!

UPDATE 08/29/2012
I decided to upgrade my review to 5 stars after I contacted the DB-Tech Customer Service (dbtech@camarketingusa.com) about extra "Film Holders". Sam replied almost immediately and resolved my issues. Great Customer Service!

No comments:

Post a Comment